Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Can a 4 yr old child be bi-polar?

My four year old seems very extreme in her mood swings. She is either manic where she's laughing constantly for no apparent reason or she's throwing a tantrum. There seems to be less and less time that she's "normal" and not at one end of the spectrum or the other.
Answer:
Does she have any consistency in her life?
Bi-polar is not something you develope you are born with it so yes a four year old can be bi-polar. Just like people are born with ADD or ADHD same for bipolar people.
Well, I don't know. I do know that working with children, I have been with a bi-polar six year old. I don't know how long she has been diagnosed. I'd ask your pediatrician about it if you are concerned.

If she is bi-polar, you have a rough time ahead. I know the child I spoke of continually got behavior reports because of hitting other children and was kindly told to leave the program once she hit a group leader. Good luck.
Sounds really normal for a 4 year old. We have a 3 year old, and she's like that as well. She throws tantrums because she thinks if she screams long enough, she'll get her way. It's important not to be too flexible when that behavior starts. Overtired kids also laugh (maniacally) or cry (tantrums) very easily. We stopped naps when she was about 2, but we've reinstituted them now. She's so active now that she needs the extra sleep during the day to keep her happy.
LMAO. MOST 4 year olds are...
Have her evaluated for autism, or PDD. (pervasive developement disorder) My nephew did not exhibit signs of autism until he was four and was diagnosed at that time, first with PDD, because they were unsure due to his advanced developement...he talked etc. then was diagnosed later that year as autistic as he began to regress with everything.

I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, just some food for thought.

However, I have four girls ages 1,2,4,6 and they are all like what you describe...
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

tell me pleaz Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net