Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Broken Hip - how long to wait for operation?

My mother broke her hip last Monday - it will be at least next Monday (at the very earliest!) before the hospital says they MIGHT be able to fit her in for surgery - How long should someone expect to wait before a broken bone can be fixed.

She is in the Royal Hospital in Belfast.
Answer:
Your description is not very specific about what sort of fracture this is. However, I would strongly suggest you insist on speaking to the consultant or the senior registrar who is responsible for your mother's care to get a satisfactory explanation for the delay. Prepare a list of questions you want to ask and don't be intimidated, we pay these peoples' salaries and should expect the utmost courtesy. If you get no joy, write and deliver the letter by hand, to the Chief Executive explaining your concern. The squeakiest wheel is the one that gets the oil! Good luck and I hope your mother gets attention asap and makes a full recovery.
that depends on how severe the injury is.
I would have thought they would have dealt with it straight away otherwise they may have to break it again if it is set incorrectly. Two weeks for an operation like this sounds ridiculous to say the least. I believe here in Scotland the operation would have been done with in 48 hours.
I'm shocked to read this

I would have thought surgery would be immediate

You know just last month I visited the doc for the first time in 12 years I had to pay 拢13.70 for a prescription and told I need a physiotherapist but it's a 12 week waiting list

Isn't it a scandal and I pay over 拢260 a month in NHI payments

I hope your mum get's better real quick, start kicking up a fuss and see if anyone listens.
Please check with her doctor-I think a broken hip is serious enough for a speedy surgery unless the operating rooms are all booked up for a week-must be a small hospital.
Surgery should be done as soon as possible. My mother broke her hip years ago and didn't realize it as it was not diagnosed properly by doctors...once the doctor did discover it, she had to have her leg placed in traction to pull it out 3 inches! It was very painful and unnecessary due to the negligence of a 'renowned' surgeon.

The main danger for your mother is pneumonia setting in. It is a proven fact that elderly people that break their hips and lay around that way develop pneumonia (fatal cases). I say get the surgery as soon as possible.

Not trying to frighten you, just trying to be straightforward by sharing with you what I learned via my own mother's experience. My mom turned out just fine. I wish you and your mother the best of luck!

I agree with the others...change hospitals if at all possible! I don't know your area b/c I am in Texas, but there must be another hospital somewhere! Good luck!
That's outrageous! If that's not the BEST hospital in your area, go to the best one. I live in a small town and I wouldn't trust the docs here if I was dying! That doc sounds like he's drinking! The break will begin to repair itself immediately, and like others have said on here, it may have to be rebroken. I would surely get her to a different orthopaedist at a different hospital TODAY!

So sorry to hear about this! Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

tell me pleaz Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net